Are you thinking about what is involved in the process of refacing cabinets or how to choose paint for cabinets in your kitchen? This article will give you all the information you need for successful cabinet restoration that aligns with the 2023 trends.
First, let’s take a look at what cabinet restoration means
Cabinet restoration is the process of repairing and refinishing the exterior surfaces of cabinets to make them look new again. This may involve cleaning and sanding the surfaces, filling in imperfections, and applying a new finish such as paint or stain. Cabinet restoration can be used to repair damage to cabinets, while it is also a way to update the appearance of older cabinets or give a fresh, new look to your kitchen.
Cabinet restoration can be done on various cabinets, including kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, and built-in cabinets. It can be performed on cabinets made of wood, laminate, or other materials. Cabinet restoration typically requires a high level of skill and attention to detail, as it involves working with wood and finishes to achieve a professional-looking result.
But, achieving a professional-looking result should, well… be left to the professionals. You may have the gumption to do this project on your own. However, finding a professional specializing in cabinet restoration is recommended.
Some people may wonder why they should restore their cabinets instead of simply buying new ones, which seems faster and easier. To restore or to purchase new? That is the question.
Here are some reasons why you might want to choose restoration over purchasing brand-new cabinets
- Cost – Cabinet restoration can be significantly cheaper than buying new cabinets, especially if your existing cabinets are still in good structural condition.
- Customization – Restoring your existing cabinets allows you to customize them to your exact specifications, including size, style, and finish. This can be particularly useful if you have an older home with unique or irregularly-sized cabinets.
- Sustainability – Cabinet restoration is a more environmentally-friendly option, as it helps to reduce waste by keeping cabinets out of landfills.
- Quality – Often, older cabinets are made with higher-quality materials and construction techniques than newer, mass-produced cabinets. Restoring your existing cabinets can help you preserve these higher-quality materials and craftsmanship.
- Personalization – Restoring your cabinets allows you to add your personal touch to your kitchen or other space, which can be particularly meaningful if the cabinets have sentimental value.
- Maintains original structure and details – Your cabinets may have a detailed charm that can be enhanced without destroying the integrity of the original nuance and design.
What to expect during the restoration process
- Cleaning and sanding the surface of the cabinets to remove dirt, grime, and any loose or chipped paint.
- Filling in any dents, scratches, or other imperfections in the wood with a wood filler.
- Sanding the surface again to smooth out the filler and create a uniform surface.
- Applying a primer to the surface to prepare it for painting or staining.
- Painting or staining the cabinets in the desired color.
- Applying a clear finish, such as varnish or polyurethane, protects the paint or stain and gives it a glossy finish.
It’s important to note that cabinet restoration can be time-consuming, and it may be necessary to remove the doors and drawers from the cabinets to access all the surfaces that need to be restored. It may also be necessary to remove the cabinets from the wall in order to properly sand and refinish the backs and sides.
Now, let’s dive into what the new year has in store regarding cabinet trends. What’s next in kitchen cabinetry design?
Here are some of the trends that are expected to take off in 2023
Stained Glass Panels
Stained glass panels in cabinet doors were once a design that was considered “high-society” back in the day, but sadly, like all trends, they come and go. Well, stained-glass panels are making a comeback. They add a touch of elegance to any kitchen.
Two-toned cabinets are not often considered “the obvious choice,” but they provide a hint of intrigue, a sense of depth, and subtlety to your kitchen. This design allows a homeowner to add a touch of their personality to their space.
You can keep it classic and go with traditional colors, such as black and white, green and white, or grey and white. Or, get creative and choose stunning color combinations that represent you.
Dark Stained Wood
This design works as a counterbalance to all the deep-saturated colors in the interior of your space. It gives your kitchen the “comfort of being and your grandparents'” feeling and lends a ‘been here forever’ vibe.
Traditional details have been around for centuries. The difference in having them be a part of your cabinetry is that most modern homes have many windows that provide lots of natural light. This results in an eclectic, bright, and personal space.
Changing the look and vibe of your kitchen cabinetry can be as simple as adding new, unique, and personalized hardware.
There was a moment when purple was all the rage when it came to adding a pop of color to your design, but times have changed. The new trends are leaning towards colors such as oranges, all shades of red, and bright yellows. They can be carefully added as an accent color to your cabinets, or the entire cabinet can be enlightened entirely with your choice of color.
Bits of warmth emphasized by wood grain can create a rustic look to your cabinets. Natural wood panels can add a touch of sophistication to your space.
Copper and gold-finished metal handles on painted wood cabinetry can achieve a welcoming look and make your kitchen a comfortable place to entertain friends and family. Warm colors and different textures create a space of relaxation.
Mixed materials have been steadily gaining popularity over the past few years, and they are still on the rise as being a significant part of the 2023 trends. A combination of metal and wood is both durable and stylish. They also add a touch of uniqueness to your kitchen area.
Cabinet Restoration with Allen Brothers
Ready to get a start on your cabinet restoration project for 2023? Allen Brothers Cabinet Painting is prepared to help you update your kitchen every step of the way. Contact us, and let’s get started today!