Kitchen cabinet painting can be a great way to update the look of your kitchen without spending a fortune on a complete remodel. However, if you’re not careful, painting your kitchen cabinets can quickly become a disaster.
Not to worry, in this article, we are going to share with you 20 don’ts of kitchen cabinet painting to help you avoid common mistakes and achieve a professional-looking finish.
- Don’t skip the prep work: Proper preparation is essential for a smooth and lasting finish. Skipping or cutting corners on prep work can lead to peeling, cracking, and other issues down the line.
- Don’t paint over grease or grime: Before painting, thoroughly clean cabinets with a degreaser or TSP (trisodium phosphate) to remove any built-up grease, grime, or other contaminants.
- Don’t forget to remove hardware and doors: Take the time to remove all cabinet doors, drawers, and hardware before painting. This will ensure a clean and even finish and protect the hardware from getting damaged.
- Don’t forget to label doors and drawers: As you remove them, be sure to label them so you know which ones go where when it’s time to reassemble them.
- Don’t ignore the grain: If your cabinets have a wood grain, don’t ignore it. Painting over the grain can result in a fake-looking finish. Instead, use a primer that will allow the grain to show through, or consider a stain instead of paint.
- Don’t forget to sand: Sanding is an important step in preparing cabinets for painting. Use fine-grit sandpaper to rough up the surface and remove any old finish or imperfections.
- Don’t use the wrong type of paint: Not all paints are created equal. Make sure you choose a paint specifically designed for cabinets or trim, as these types of paints are more durable and resistant to wear and tear.
- Don’t skimp on the primer: Primer is an important step in the painting process, as it helps the paint adhere better and provides a more even finish. Don’t skimp on the primer, and be sure to use a high-quality product.
- Don’t forget to prime the doors and drawers: It’s not just the cabinet frames that need to be primed – the doors and drawers should also be primed before painting.
- Don’t paint in high humidity: Painting in high humidity can cause the paint to dry too slowly, resulting in a tacky finish. Wait for a dry day with low humidity to tackle your painting project.
- Don’t paint in direct sunlight: Direct sunlight can cause the paint to dry too quickly and result in a streaky or uneven finish. Work in a shaded area to avoid this problem.
- Don’t paint in extreme temperatures: Painting in extreme temperatures can also cause problems, as the paint may not adhere properly or dry evenly. Aim for a temperature between 50-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Don’t rush the painting process: Take your time and be patient when painting cabinets. Rushing can result in drips, uneven coats, and other problems.
- Don’t forget to use a high-quality brush: A good-quality brush will help you achieve a smoother and more even finish. Invest in a high-quality brush and take care of it properly.
- Don’t use too much paint: Using too much paint can result in a thick, gloopy finish that takes forever to dry. Apply thin coats and allow each coat to dry completely before adding another.
- Don’t forget to sand between coats: Sanding between coats will help smooth imperfections and ensure a professional-looking finish.
- Don’t forget to protect the surrounding area: Painting cabinets can be messy, so be sure to protect the surrounding area with drop cloths, plastic sheeting, or painter’s tape to avoid getting paint on floors, countertops, and other surfaces.
- Don’t forget to let the paint dry completely: Patience is key when painting cabinets. Allow each coat of paint to dry completely before handling or adding another coat.
- Don’t reattach hardware too soon: Wait until the paint is completely dry before reattaching cabinet hardware. Rushing this step can result in smudges and fingerprints on the fresh paint.
- Don’t forget to enjoy the results: Once your cabinets are painted and reassembled, take a step back and enjoy the transformation. A fresh coat of paint can make a big difference in the look and feel of your kitchen!
Painting kitchen cabinets can be a daunting task, but by following these 20 don’ts, you can ensure a successful outcome. Take your time, invest in high-quality products, and be patient – the end result will be well worth the effort.
However, there is one very important “don’t” that was not mentioned in the list above – Don’t forget that the best thing you can do to make sure your kitchen cabinets end up looking spectacular is to leave the entire project to a professional cabinet painter.
Here’s Why You Should Leave Your Kitchen Cabinet Painting Project to a Professional:
- Expertise and Experience: Professional painters have years of experience and training in the art of painting. They know how to prepare surfaces properly, choose the right paints and finishes, and apply the paint to achieve a smooth and even finish.
They have seen it all and know how to navigate any challenges that may arise during the painting process. A professional cabinet painter can also recommend color choices, finishes, and other details to help you achieve your desired look.
- Time Savings: Painting your kitchen cabinets is a time-consuming task requiring significant preparation, painting, and cleanup. A professional painter can complete the job more quickly and efficiently than a DIYer, allowing you to return to your normal routine sooner. They have the experience and tools to do the job quickly and efficiently without sacrificing quality.
- Professional Equipment: Professional painters have access to high-quality equipment and tools designed to produce a professional-looking finish. They use advanced techniques and materials that are not readily available to the general public. They have invested in top-of-the-line sprayers, brushes, and rollers that produce a smooth and even finish. They also have access to paints and finishes that may not be available to the general public, allowing them to achieve a more durable and long-lasting finish.
- Guarantee: Professional painters typically offer a guarantee on their work, which gives you peace of mind and assurance that the job will be done right. If there are any issues or problems with the finished product, a professional cabinet painter will work to resolve them and ensure your satisfaction. They take pride in their work and want you to be completely happy with the final outcome.
- Safety: Painting can be dangerous, especially when working at heights or using hazardous chemicals. Professional painters are trained in proper safety techniques and have the equipment to protect themselves and others during the painting process. They use ladders and scaffolding that are designed to prevent falls and injuries. They also use protective equipment such as gloves, masks, and goggles to protect themselves from fumes and other hazards.
- Cost Savings: While it may seem counterintuitive, hiring a professional painter can actually save you money in the long run. A professional painter can help you choose high-quality, durable, and long-lasting paints and finishes, saving you money on future maintenance and repairs. They also have the skills and equipment to complete the job quickly and efficiently, saving you money on labor costs.
- Aesthetics: A professional painter can help you achieve the exact look and feel you want for your kitchen cabinets. They can recommend color choices, finishes, and other details to ensure that the finished product matches your vision and complements the rest of your home decor. They can also provide samples and mock-ups to help you visualize the final outcome.
- Convenience: Painting your kitchen cabinets can be a messy and disruptive process, especially if you’re doing it yourself. Hiring a professional painter can make the process more convenient and less disruptive to your daily routine. They will take care of everything from start to finish, including preparation, painting, and cleanup. They will also work around your schedule to minimize disruptions to your daily routine.
- Quality Control: Professional painters have a reputation to uphold and take pride in their work. This means they will pay close attention to detail and ensure the finished product meets your expectations. They will use the right materials, techniques, and equipment to ensure a high-quality, long-lasting finish. They will also communicate with you throughout the process to ensure you are satisfied with the progress.
- Peace of Mind: Hiring a professional painter can give you peace of mind knowing that your kitchen cabinets are in good hands. You don’t have to worry about the hassle and stress of doing it yourself. A professional painter will handle all the details and ensure the job is done correctly. This can give you more time and energy to focus on other important tasks, such as spending time with your family or pursuing hobbies.
- Improved Resale Value: Painting your kitchen cabinets can significantly improve the resale value of your home. A professional painter can help you choose colors and finishes that are popular and appealing to potential buyers. They can also ensure that the finished product is high quality and looks professionally done, making your home more attractive to buyers. This can ultimately lead to a higher sale price and a quicker sale.
- Customization: Hiring a professional painter allows you to customize your kitchen cabinets to your exact specifications. They can help you achieve the look and feel you want for your kitchen, whether it’s a sleek modern design or a traditional and classic style. They can also incorporate unique details and finishes to make your kitchen cabinets stand out.
- Longevity: When you hire a professional painter, you can expect a finished product that will last for years. A professional painter will use high-quality paints and finishes designed to withstand daily wear and tear. They will also ensure that the surface is properly prepared before painting, which can extend the life of your cabinets. This means you won’t have to worry about repainting your cabinets for many years, saving you time and money in the long run.
- Knowledge of Products: A professional painter has an in-depth understanding of the different types of paints, finishes, and other products available. They can help you choose the right products for your specific needs, considering factors such as durability, ease of cleaning, and environmental impact. They can also advise you on the best products for your budget and situation.
- Attention to Detail: A professional painter has a keen eye for detail and will ensure that every aspect of the painting process is done to perfection. They will pay close attention to details such as edges, corners, and seams, ensuring that the finished product is smooth and even. They will also take the time to properly prepare the surface before painting, which is essential for achieving a high-quality finish.
- Communication: When you hire a professional painter, you can expect clear and open communication throughout the process. They will keep you updated on the job’s progress and address any concerns or questions you may have. They will also provide guidance and recommendations throughout the process to ensure that the finished product meets your expectations.
- Accessibility: Painting kitchen cabinets can be a challenging task, especially if you have cabinets that are hard to reach or awkwardly shaped. A professional painter has the tools and equipment to easily access all areas of your cabinets, ensuring that every surface is properly painted and finished.
- Insurance: Professional painters are typically insured, which provides an extra layer of protection for you and your home. If any accidents or damage occurs during the painting process, their insurance will cover the cost of repairs or replacement. This gives you peace of mind knowing that you are not liable for any unexpected expenses.
- Stress-Free Process: Painting can be a stressful and overwhelming task, especially if you’re doing it yourself. Hiring a professional painter can take the stress and hassle out of the process. They will handle all the details and ensure the job is done right, leaving you with a beautiful and professionally painted kitchen.
- Investment: Hiring a professional painter is an investment in your home. A professional paint job can significantly improve the look and feel of your kitchen, making it a more enjoyable space for you and your family. It can also increase resale.
Now for the Best Part, Time to Contact Allen Brothers Cabinet Painting
Allen Brothers Cabinet Painting provides top-quality kitchen cabinet painting services for your home or business in Centerville and Bluffdale, Utah. If you’re looking to paint, refinish, or restore your cabinets, we have what it takes to get the job done and save you a ton of money on what it would otherwise cost to replace your cabinets. Call or contact us today and see what we can do for you!